News from Mathnasium of Buffalo Grove
The Testing Issue: What Mathnasium Wants You To Know
May 17, 2021
It's that time again! The time when end-of-year-testing takes place in classrooms across the world. Testing can be a tricky subject, with heated arguments from all sides. After the No Child Left Behind Act was initiated in 2002, all 50 states were mandated to use standardized testing- but testing has been around way before that. Standardized tests have been part of North American education since the early 1800's. So what's the problem with standardized testing, anyway? According to Britannica’s procon.org, there are several big issues:
1. Standardized tests only determine which students are good at taking tests. (Many students who are proficient in math have test anxiety and can completely bomb a test containing material they actually understand.)
2. Teachers feel that standardized tests are "unfair metrics for evaluation". (If a teacher is getting evaluated by how many students pass a test, then what happens to the teacher who has a class with 50% regular education students and 50% special education students?)
3. Standardized tests only cover the basics. (What about testing in artistic ability? What about testing in critical thinking or problem solving? Music? Creativity? Getting high scores on a standardized test doesn't always equate to a successful student.)
Is there a right way to do testing?
- What if there was a way to evaluate student understanding without harsh comparisons?
- What if there was an individualized process that could enable a teacher to see the missing holes in a child's education then build a custom learning plan for that child?
- What if testing was done in a stress-free environment without the pressure of a time-crunch?
The good news is there is a testing program that does just that. It comes from the educators at Mathnasium of Buffalo Grove. We call it our comprehensive assessment and it's offered to each and every student who enrolls with us.
Our comprehensive assessment is the first step in the Mathnasium Method. The Mathnasium Method was created by a team of education experts and headed by Lawrence Martinek, the founder of Mathnasium. Our specialized math tutors need to understand where the student's comprehension begins and ends. After taking the assessment, our tutors can ascertain where a student needs support, and where they are already successful. This ensures that there is no time wasted covering subjects that don't need attention.
When done right, testing is a phenomenal tool for discerning progress and uncovering understanding gaps.
One parent noted, "Mathnasium of Buffalo Grove is SO well-run. They employ qualified instructors and are very detailed in planning my child's instruction." -B.G.
"Mathnasium has helped my 5th grader by boosting her confidence and filling in her math gaps". -J.L.
Come try Mathnasium of Buffalo Grove today!
|Sun||11:00 AM - 3:00 PM|
|Mon||3:30 PM - 7:30 PM|
|Tues||3:30 pM - 7:30 PM|
|Wed||3:30 PM - 7:30 PM|
|Thurs||3:30 PM - 7:30 PM|
Why Choose Mathnasium?
Mathnasium of Buffalo Grove Reviews
Nov 28 2021
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of Mathnasium! Today we're going to highlight a...
Nov 25 2021
Piling new math concepts on a student with foundational cracks and holes causes math anxiety,...
Nov 24 2021
According to research from EAB, next generation's jobs will have a common threa...