5 Movies to Foster a Love of Math
Who doesn’t love family movie night? At Mathnasium of Meadowvale, we recommend including some movies with math themes in your family movie night mix.
Our favourite family-friendly and inspiring math movies are based on true stories. The ones we chose have math, either as part of the story or are about mathematicians.
Note: We did our best to choose family-friendly movies, but please preview the movies to decide what is appropriate for your children. You can also read reviews about age-appropriate topics of various movies on www.commonsensemedia.org.
- Hidden Figures- (PG) This movie tells the story of Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson who were black women in the South in the 1940’s working at NASA as “computers.” “Computer” was a job title for people who did calculations for various projects. The three women worked hard to break glass ceilings to achieve positions in white, male-dominated math fields.
We recommend this film to everyone, especially girls and minorities.
- Stand and Deliver (PG) This movie is based on the true story of the math teacher, Jaime Escalante, and his students. The kids at his school were failing math but they beat all the odds with hard work and the help of a teacher who believed in them. They exemplify the concept of the growth mindset.
We recommend this movie for middle and high school students who say they aren’t any good at math or that they hate math.
- Moneyball (PG-13) This movie shows how math can solve real problems. It is based on the true story of a major league baseball general manager. He changed the business of baseball by using mathematical analysis.
We recommend this movie for middle and high school students who don’t see math as useful.
- The Theory of Everything (PG-13) This movie shows the personal and professional triumphs famous cosmologist, Stephen Hawkins. He persisted with his life and math-based science despite a debilitating disease.
We recommend this movie for middle and high school students who love math and science.
- October Sky (PG) This movie is based on the true story of a boy inspired by Sputnik to use math and science as his ticket to a better life.
We recommend this movie for children who don’t see math and science as cool or fun.
Watch a movie with your children with an inspirational message about math and then talk with them regarding their feelings on the subject.
Mathnasium of Meadowvale is a great program for kids who love math, those that need a nudge in math, as well as those who may be struggling.
Have questions about our program? Follow the steps below or give us a call today at (289) 633-3823. We are located in Mississauga, at the south side of Meadowvale Town Centre, close to Burrito Boyz and Karachi Kitchen.