It is always nice to start off the New Year with some interesting and fun Math Facts that don’t require too much thinking and at the same time, make you go Hmmm.
Did You Know….
- There is no Roman numeral for zero.
- If 23 people are in the same room, there is a 50% chance that two people will have the same birthday.
- 1000 is the only number from 0 to 1000 that has an “a” in it.
- Take any shape with the same perimeter, and a circle still possesses the largest area.
- Every odd number has an ‘e’.
- Among all the Shakespearean dramas, the word “Mathematics” only appears in the play called: “The Taming of the Shrew”.
- The mathematical word “hundred” coins from “hundrath” which is an old Norse term that actually referred to a quantity of 120
- You can use three geometric cuts to a cake and get 8 pieces.
- William Shanks, a renowned Mathematician, spent a large part of his life calculating Mathematical constants and didn’t make a mistake until he reached the 528th digit.
- On dice, opposite sides always add up to the number seven.
- A standard piece of paper can only be folded seven times, however, according to mathematical theory, if you could fold a piece of paper in half 103 times its thickness would equal that of the observable universe.
- If you started with a penny and doubled its value every day for just 30 days, you would have over $5,000,000 Million in the first month.
It is always exciting to discover cool ways in which you can use or observe Math in the world around you. There are so many great applications for math and there are also some very surprising math-related facts about things you see in front of you every day but just have not viewed through a mathematical lens.