Mesa Back to School Bootcamp for Incoming Middle School Students
Going into Middle School feeling academically prepared will remove an enormous stressor from your pre-teen as they transition schools. Take this summer to help them catch up, keep up, and get ahead in math with Mathnasium of Mesa North.
Take advantage of the flexibility of summer and come to Mathnasium for two to three 60 minute sessions per week to keep their minds active and ready for the 2019-2020 school year.
Preparedness is essential for Middle School math for two main reasons:
1) Time Restrictions. Students will experience their first bell schedule. Math will be restricted to a 60 minute period, and teachers have to grade what is completed in that time frame.
2) Algebra. It’s go time! Middle school math relies heavily pre-Algebra and Algebra material, which is introduced in 2nd through 6th grade. If your student hasn’t mastered these prerequisite skills, it will lead to complications as problems become more multi-step and complex. Not to mention, Algebra is the first time letters are integrated into math problems.
If you don’t know if your student has a strong foundation from elementary school, check out the benchmark skills below and schedule a no-risk diagnostic assessment at Mathnasium of Mesa North.
Benchmarks that Should be Mastered Entering Middle School:
- Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Whole Numbers and Fractions
- Multi-Step Word Problems
- Distributive Properties
- Greatest Common Factor (GCF) & Least Common Multiple (LCM)
- Order of Operations aka PEMDAS
- Prime Factorization
- Divisibility Rules
- Converting between Fractions, Decimals and Percents
To see how your student is performing and how Mathnasium of Mesa North can get them ready for Middle School, schedule a no-risk assessment! We will assess your student’s strengths and weaknesses in math compared to grade-level benchmarks and create a customized learning plan around their needs.
After your student completes their assessment, our Center Director, Pricilla, will review their results with you and help enroll your child in one of our programs.