A tongue twister is “a sequence of words or sounds, typically of an alliterative kind, that is difficult to pronounce quickly and correctly.” (Oxford Dictionary)
Not only the Tongue twisters are a lot of fun to try and recite, but also they are one of the best ways to practice English pronunciation. Tongue twisters are beneficial because they help your brain remember patterns and words faster than speaking or singing.
Benefits of Tongue Twister
- It gives a sense of understanding of different sounds. For instance, join your lips for ‘P’ bite your lower lip for ‘V, pout for ‘W’, and push air through your lips for ‘Ph'
- Tongue twisters also stretch and strengthen the muscles which you use to speak.
- It is a great warm-up exercise for public speaking, as it not only supports effective articulation but also emphasizes speech clarity.
- Tongue Twisters show you what words and sounds you have trouble pronouncing.
- Improve memory and reading.
These silly strings of words are a great way to have fun as a busy family. We recommend that you start with short tongue twisters. Let your child repeat them at varying speeds and without making a mistake!
Below is a list of our favorite tongue twisters – are you up for the challenge? Try your hand at them and share if you can get them out clearly.
- Toy boat, toy boat, toy boat. (repeat this 10 times fast)
- Red lorry, yellow lorry.
- She sees cheese.
- Cooks cook cupcakes quickly.
- A big black bear sat on a big black rug.
- We surely shall see the sunshine soon.
- Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?
- If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
- If you want to buy, buy, if you do not want to buy, bye-bye!
- Fresh fried fish, fish fresh fried, fried fish fresh, fish fried fresh.
You can also play games with tongue twisters to make it exciting.
- Roll a die and repeat the tongue twisters as the number on the die.
- Ask the child to say the tongue twister with a different emotion. (Happy, sad, angry, confused, scared, etc.)
We hope you had a lot of fun trying our list of challenging and funny tongue twisters for kids!
It tingles, it tickles, and it's fun! How about testing your friends?