Students often need more individual attention than their school can provide.
It’s a widely known fact that strong math skills are vital for success in high school, college, and beyond. Unfortunately, this hard truth causes an undue amount of anxiety and stress in kids who have not yet been taught math in a way that makes sense to them. And, quite often, there are no clear signs that they’re struggling. So when is the best time to get math help for your child? As soon as the school year begins (if not sooner!). Here are seven good reasons why:
1. Sometimes individual instruction is necessary to get a good grasp on math. The only way to do well in math throughout high school and beyond is to truly understand the concepts. While some students are able to get by in the early years through memorization, this won’t work as the material becomes more advanced. A qualified, caring instructor can give students the individual attention they need to develop a deep understanding of math and ultimately become high achievers.
2. Any gaps need to be addressed right away. Many students have learning gaps in their math foundation that prevent them from reaching their potential. Because math concepts build on each other, these gaps need to be addressed and remedied before students take on new material in order to keep from falling further behind as the school year progresses. This is where a math-learning program with a structured approach backed by a proven curriculum will be most effective.
3. Some math knowledge is generally lost over the summer. Speaking of learning gaps, have you heard of the “summer slide?” On average, children lose 2-3 months of math skills during the summer months if they aren’t involved in a summer math program. This means they may be starting the school year a little behind where they left off. Getting them the math help they need right away will reinforce concepts they’re encountering early in the year and introduce them to new ones, so they’re on the right track for a successful school year.
4. Confidence in math leads to confidence in other subjects. When students are able to solve math problems, they feel a tremendous sense of pride and accomplishment. A good instructor will help a child challenge and exercise their own mind. As comprehension increases, the child’s enthusiasm for math grows and they develop confidence, not only in math but in all of their classes. This can be life-changing for a child, so why not get them on the right path now?
5. Just doing okay means they could be doing better. Sometimes it isn’t obvious that your child could use math help. You may even have accepted that they’re just “average” math students. But all students are capable of being good at math if they’re given the right kind of individual instruction. When they start believing this themselves, there’s no reason why they can’t be high achievers.
6. If math class is too easy, it’s time for more advanced concepts. Students who already excel in math have a wonderful opportunity to expand their skills beyond what they’re learning in the classroom. By mastering complex concepts, they can reach higher math levels and unlock their true potential The right kind of supplemental math help will show them all the doors that being good at math can open.
7. Now is the time to prepare for standardized tests. Students who are looking ahead to college shouldn’t wait until the last minute to get test-prep help. To get the best results on standardized tests, students need to truly understand the math, not cheat themselves by relying on test-taking strategies. The sooner they can get targeted math help for these tests, the more prepared they’ll be.
Mathnasium students get results. As you weigh the different options for supplemental math help, consider enrolling your child in a math-learning program with a history of setting children on the right path toward academic success. The curriculum and methodology at Mathnasium Learning Centers has been proven through the achievements of over a million students.
Mathnasium’s proprietary teaching method — the Mathnasium MethodTM — has been transforming the way children learn and appreciate math since 2002. It does more than just raise their grades and scores — it teaches them to think critically, solve problems, and work independently — skills that go beyond the classroom and last a lifetime. Students are assessed individually and given a customized learning plan detailing the specific type of math help they need. Attentive, highly trained math tutors will teach your child face-to-face at the pace that’s right for them. And both in-center and online tutoring in math is available. Whether they’re struggling at math, wanting to jump ahead, needing to be challenged, or looking for test-prep help, your child will get the individual attention they need to achieve great things.
No matter where you decide to turn for math tutoring, the key is not to wait. Get them started right away, so they can enjoy the school year ahead with confidence and a positive outlook.