Power Up Your Child This Summer!
Mathnasium of West Seattle is offering a variety of summer camps and workshops in addition to our regular programs this Summer. From elementary to high school, intervention to enrichment --- we have a program for your student! mathnasium.com/westseattle-summer.
Summer Math Camp
Spark your student's curiosity this year! Each plan comes with one week of half day sessions where we will work through the focus topics, play games and challenge ourselves with puzzles.
Math workout topics include:
- Master Add/Subtract: Numerical Fluency
- Designed for students going into grade 2 and up who want to master their Additions and Subtractions.
- Master Times Tables: Multiplication Fluency
- Designed for students going into grade 4 and up who want to master their Times Tables.
- Master Fraction Concepts and Skills
- Designed for students going into 4th grade and up who need a comprehensive look at Fraction Concepts.
- Master Decimal Concepts and Skills
- Designed for students going into 5th grade and up who need a comprehensive look at Decimal Concepts and Skills.
- Master Percent (basic)
- Designed for students going into 5th grade and up who want a comprehensive introduction to the concepts and skills involving Percent.
- Master Percent (advanced)
- Designed for students going into 7th grade and up who want to do advanced work with Percent.
Summer Schedule: Weeks of July 1st, July 15th, July 29th, August 12th & Auguest 26th.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-12pm. Option for Early Arrival/Late Pick Up.
Summer Art Camp
Our Summer Art Camps explore how art and math combine through fun, informative, and creative hands-on projects! Using mathematical principles such as symmetry and geometry, students will create amazing drawings and paintings.
Summer Schedule: Weeks of July 8th, July 22nd, August 5th and August 19th
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-12pm. Option for Early Arrival/Late Pick Up.
Power Math Workouts
The Mathnasium Summer Math Program is a great way to give your student fun activities to do during the summer while also meeting their educational needs.
Our individualized, flexible programs can be tailored to meet your child’s specific goals. This option is great for those interested in a program for the duration of summer, to avoid the "Summer Slide" and get ahead in math!
Math Goals May Include:
- Build Number Sense
- Cure Finger-Counting
- Master Number Facts
- Understand Multiplication
- Make Sense of Fractions
- De-Mystify Percentages
- Prepare for Middle/High School
- Algebra Readiness
- Rescue from Middle School Crisis
- Preview Algebra, Geometry, or Pre-Calc
Mon-Fri, 3:30 pm - 7:30 pm. 1-Hour Sessions. Flexible Drop Ins.
High School Summer Courses
Will your student be taking summer courses this year for credit recovery or additional credits? Supplement their courses with help from Mathnasium! Our High School Math Prep programs give students the individual attention they need to maximize their SUCCESS in their exams.
Designed to help students taking summer courses through their respective school districts, you can choose from 1 of 4 courses: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, or Pre-Calculus.
Each student will receive a customized learning plan, created based on their summer course and specific needs to help them ace their quizzes and exams!
Prepare the Mathnasium Way!
1. Jump Start in May (Mathnasium Curriculum)
Comprehensive Assessment: Students start by taking a customized assessment which pinpoints their learning needs and course readiness.
Customized Learning Plan and Curriculum: We design a customized learning plan and build a curriculum for teaching the concepts the student needs to get ready or get ahead of the course.
2. Start in June
Customized Learning Plan and Curriculum: We design a customized learning plan and build the curriculum based on the student’s schedule and course timelines and milestones.
3. Finish Line
Review and Prepare for: Mid Topic Quizzes; End of Topic Tests; Semester Exams
Summer Schedule: Mon-Fri, 3:30 pm - 7:30 pm. 1-Hour Sessions. Flexible Drop Ins.
ACT/SAT Workshops & Workouts
Prep your student for their ACT/SAT exams through our 5-day Workshops and Power Math Workout Programs!
We’ve developed the Mathnasium ACT/SAT Math Prep programs to give students the individual attention they need to maximize their score on the math portion of each exam. Each student will come away from an initial assessment with a plan to address weaknesses in the areas covered by the ACT or the SAT.
ACT/SAT 5-Day Workshops: Mon-Fri, 9am-12pm. 3 hours every day.
ACT/SAT Power Math Workouts: Mon-Fri, 3:30 pm - 7:30 pm. 1-Hour Sessions. Flexible Drop Ins.
Math might not be as fun as art or sports -- or as cool as robotics and science -- but it's still pretty awesome!
Students often think of math as something that they will only use in the classroom. But the truth is, math is used everywhere in life, from sports stats to cooking, construction to landscaping, and more!
Math literacy is essential, and there are endless practical ways that kids can apply math to everyday life. The trick is getting them to realize and appreciate that!
So, as school lets out for the Summer, should I give my kids a break?
This is the #1 question parents ask every Spring.
The answer is: It depends...
Have you heard of the “Summer Slide” or “Summer Learning Loss”? A Johns Hopkins study reveals that most kids lose 2-3 months of critical thinking skills over the summer. While this Summer Learning Loss has been shown to affect all areas, math skills are the hardest hit. This might not come as a surprise since math is a tough subject for students and parents alike. Also, students typically don’t get the repetition needed to really master and retain the skills being covered in class. So, any break from math will degrade their learning progress.
While many kids are looking to catch up over the summer, there are also those advanced students who are wanting to push forward and get ahead. With over 95% of the highest paying jobs straight out of college being in STEM fields, competition for college entry and scholarships is more competitive than it has ever been. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. While these four fields are very different, they all derive their basic foundations from Math.
Did you know:
- 40% of parents feel their child has difficulty with math, or at best, is just getting by.
- 1-in-3 parents are unable to help their teens with high school math.
- Students can lose up to 2.6 months of math skills over the summer.
- The first 6 weeks of the fall semester are usually spent re-learning old material to try to make up for Summer Learning Loss.
- It can take up to 2 months from the 1st day of school for a student’s brain development to get back on track.
- By the end of grade 6, students who have experienced Summer Learning Loss over the years are an average of 2 years behind state standards.